Thank you for purchasing our theme. We are happy that you are one of our customers and we assure you that you will not be disappointed as well. We do our best to produce high quality themes with great functionality, premium designs and human readable code. Before you get started, we highly encourage you to get familiar with this documentation file. Spending half an hour reading the manual may save lots of your time and help you to avoid questions with obvious answers.
We also recommend to check our FAQ pages
If you have any questions that are beyond the scope of this help file, please feel free to post them on our support forum at http://themerex.ticksy.com.
Please Note! Our support covers installation procedure, assistance for theme features and any issues you may encounter when using the theme. Unfortunately, we cannot provide support for customization or 3rd party plugins. If you need help with the customization of your theme, you should enlist the help of a developer.
To use this theme you must have WordPress engine installed. We assume you have a working version of WordPress already up and running. If not, you can check this great video by Woothemes guiding you through the process of WordPress installation.
How to install WordPress - A tutorial on how to install WordPress on your hosted domain.
We also encourage you to actively use the links below. These useful resources cover most of general WordPress questions you may have:
- Wordpress FAQ - Information and resources about WordPress including history, features, semantics, glossary and information to help you determine whether or not WordPress is the blogging tool for you.
- Wordpress Lessons - Great source of knowledge for WordPress beginners.
- PHP Function References - Detailed information on WordPress PHP functions and usage examples.
To use this theme you must be running WordPress 3.9 or higher, PHP5 or higher, and mysql 5 or higher. Please contact your web hosting service provider to make sure that your server complies with the requirements above. To safeguard your website, please use secure passwords and the latest versions of WordPress and plugins
Recommended web hosting services:
You should check php upload_max_filesize and post_max_size. These values should be 32M or higher. If you are running shared web hosting, please contact your web hosting service provider to find more information about that. If you are running unmanaged dedicated server or VPS, you should check your php.ini file. Alternatively, you can edit .htaccess file in the root of your website and add the following values:
php_value post_max_size 32M php_value upload_max_filesize 32MSetting these values will ensure you won't get an error reporting that your upload and post memory limit is too low.
We strive to provide best tech support ever. To get free assistance please use our ticketing system.
To get tech support, you will need your purchase code. To get the code, please go to your ThemeForest download page and click on theme download link. Here you should stick with the last option and download text file containing your license details and purchase code proving your order.
Our support covers installation procedure, assistance for theme features and any issues you may encounter when using the theme. Unfortunately, we cannot provide support for customization or 3rd party plugins. If you need help with the customization of your theme, you should enlist the help of a developer.
We recommend watching our video tutorial first.
If you have questions regarding theme installation, we recommend reading detailed instruction below.
Unpacking the theme
Before installing the theme, please make sure you unpacked the archive and extracted theme files. After unzipping the archive, you will see the following files:
If you try to install the wrong files, you will get missing styles.css file error. This is the most common error that means you are trying to install an incorrect package.
To install "Education" theme, you must have WordPress installed. For information regarding WordPress platform installation, please check the WordPress Codex at http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress or check this great video tutorial.
Update WordPress: To ensure a positive user experience, we highly recommend updating your WordPress to the latest stable version 4.0 or higher. This will help utilizing all of the latest features of WordPress.
You can install the theme in two ways:
- Log into your web server with FTP client software.
- Unzip mariana.zip file and ONLY use the extracted /mariana theme folder.
- Upload the extracted /Mariana theme folder into /wp-content/themes folder.
- Upload the extracted /Mariana theme folder into /wp-content/themes folder.
- Activate the newly installed theme. Go to Appearance > Themes and activate it.
- via WordPress:
- Login to admin panel.
- Go to Appearance - Themes and click on the Add New button.
- Choose Upload theme option. Click on Browse... (Choose file in Safari/Chrome), select "mariana.zip" and click Install Now button.
- After the successful installation, click on Activate or go to Appearance - Themes and click on Activate to activate the newly installed theme.
- After the theme is activated, you will be prompted to install recommended
plugins: Instagram Widget, MailChimp for WP.
All these plugins are included into the theme archive, or can be installed from the WordPress.org repository.
The theme can function without any of these plugins. But if you want your website look precisely as the demo page, you have to install all recommended plugins and import demo content. This is a good idea if you are building your website from scratch.
However, if you have an existing website, you should be very careful with plugin installation and importing dummy data: this may affect the website content and structure. Please read the Demo Content article for details.
In order to make the theme look exactly as the demo page, you need to install recommended plugins. Click on Begin installing plugins link.
You will be redirected to plugins installation page. Check all listed plugins, select Install option and click on Apply button. Installation may take a few minutes, please be patient and do not refresh the page.
After the installation you will get a notification informing that plugins were installed successfully.
IMPORTANT: Before you go ahead with the update, please check theme changelog and make sure you backup your old theme folder. Download it to your computer locally.
It is a good practice to backup both your files and database regularly and especially before making some serious updates. We recommend using free backup plugins for WordPress like WPOnlineBackup.
Update Option 1. Update using WordPress uploader
- Log into your ThemeForest account and navigate to your downloads tab. Find the theme and download “Installable WordPress file”.
- Log into your WordPress website and go to Appearance -> Themes.
- Activate a different theme. Delete the previous version of Mariana Blog and re-upload the new Wordpress Installable files that you have downloaded from ThemeForest during the 1st step.
- Once it is uploaded, activate the theme.
- Update the included plugins if you see a notification message letting you know the plugins have a new version.
Update Option 2. Update using FTP client.
- Log into your ThemeForest account and get the last version of the theme as described above.
- Connect to your server using desktop client software (we recommend CyberDuck and Filezilla).
- Change directory to /wp-content/themes.
- Remove existing folder with old theme files.
- Unpack theme installable files downloaded from ThemeForest and upload to the theme folder.
- Update the included plugins if you see a notification message letting you know the plugins have a new version.
Child theme is for developers willing to make changes to core functions and code. If you are not planning to dig that deep, you can just skip this chapter.
IMPORTANT: If you want to make changes in theme templates or functions, we recommend that you install the child theme and apply changes there. To learn more about the purpose and basis of creation of child theme, please visit WordPress Codex at http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes.
In the theme package you will see materials for the child theme. It’s located in "mariana-child.zip" archive. You can install the child theme just like you installed the main theme (see above, in the section "Installation").
A few recommendations on how to use a Child Theme from ThemeREX:
- Almost all files from the main theme can be replaced in a child theme. It doesn’t concern only .php-files with templates and basic logic, but also both .js, .css files from respective folders and files with images, icons etc..
- If you want to change some theme functions or to add new ones, you need to create
file 'functions.php' in the folder "Mariana-child", and add all the required functions into it. If our
theme contains functions with such names, they will be replaced with yours, if not – your functions will
complete our theme logics.
IMPORTANT: If you want to replace some functions from other files (except functions.php), e.g. from _wp_utils.php or _utils.php, we do not recommend you to copy respective files into the child theme, but you should create the respective functions in functions.php in the child theme. This should be done, so that when updating the theme, new functions from these files are available for use.
As for other files - put out the templates from the folder 'templates', images from the folder 'images' etc. - to make changes copy theme into the folder 'child theme' and make changes there.
Our themes have simple One click dummy data import tool. It's very easy to use and you can get a precise copy of our demo website in just 1 click.
Before installing demo data, please make sure you have installed all the required plugins, please refer to Plugins installation section of this document for details.
IMPORTANT: When installing demo-data, ALL EXISTING CONTENTS of your website will be deleted and replaced with the new data! We highly recommend that you install demo data only on blank WordPress installation.
To import demo content into a WordPress site, please follow these steps:
- Log in to your site as an administrator.
- If you see a message prompting to install required plugins, click on "Begin installing plugins" and
install them on the corresponding page.
The recommended plugins (MailChimp for WP and Instagram Widget) are not mandatory for
installation of demo content but highly recommended.
- Go to Appearance -> Install Dummy Data:
- On the page that showed up please set the required parameters.
If you want to get a precise copy of our demo site, leave the default selection intact - "Overwrite existing content".
- Click on "Install Demo Data" button.
Please wait while demo data is being copied from our server to your site. It may take a while and depends significantly on the Internet connection speed between your website and our server. Please wait patiently and do not refresh/leave the page.
- After the data is successfully imported, you will see the following message:
In 99.9% it works fine, but if something went wrong and data was not imported, please repeat the procedure. The system will find the last item imported successfully and you will be able to continue the import.
If you are making the install on your local machine, please check your internet connection and firewall settings - this may affect the data transfer.
After the theme activation and demo content import, we are ready to get started with basic theme settings like site title, tagline, logo, favicon etc.
To change your site title and tagline go to Settings -> General Please note, these parameters are important for search engines. For advanced SEO management we recommend installing 3rd parties plugins like All In One SEO pack.
Another great idea may be setting custom permalinks structure to make them more SEO friendly and human-readable. Go to Settings -> Permalinks and make changes according to the example below.
Now let's navigate to Appearance -> Customize - the feature which makes theme customization extremely user-friendly, allowing the admin to manage the feel and look of the blog website easily from one place.
We have integrated many additional options to the default Wordpress "Customize" menu, which allows you to flexibly control the appearance and behaviour of the whole website as well as of the individual page types. Moreover, you can see the changes of the frontend right after the alterations, without saving and previewing them each time. It saves much of your time and lets you customize your website just in several clicks. There are quite a lot of parameters here, but luckily the majority of them have default values that suit most of the users. Let's take a closer look at them:
In this section you can customize the general website look using the following settings:
Body Style options allow you to choose the way the page is displayed selecting the width for the website body content:
- Boxed - page body is located in the zone of limited screen width, and you can see the background image behind it:
- Wide - page body occupies the entire screen width (background image is not seen behind it), and the content is placed in the area of limited width, in the center of the screen:
- Fullwide - page body occupies the entire screen width (background image is not seen behind it), the content is stretched to the entire screen with small indents off the window edges:
You can choose whether you want to have sidebar on the right or on the left on the page.
- Right - the sidebar is located on the right of the content.
- Left - the sidebar is located on the left of the content.
Using this setting you can decide if you want to have responsive layouts, adjusted for each screen size and device or to keep the main layout for all of them.
- Yes - To have responsive layouts. The website will be adjusted for each screen size. On the image below you can see the website layout on the mobile:
- No - To keep the main layout intact for all screen sizes. The users will scroll the page to see the content. This is how the website will look on the same device:
In this field you should fill in the window width when responsive menu will be enabled.
On the image below, this parameter is 960 px, so even if you have responsive layouts set to No, you will get responsive menu when resizing the browser window:
Alternatively, you can select 480 in case you want to have a navigation bar only on the small screen devices:
Logo, Title and Tagline
Settings of this group are responsible for the website logo and title display:
The text entered into this field will be displayed as the logo (if the image logo is not uploaded) and as the website title in your browser tab. As you can see even if you use the text logo, a nice cursive font is applied automatically :
Let's dwell on the square brackets you see in the title. They help you to create the logo style as on the demo page:
As soon as you delete the brackets from "Site title" field, you will get the logo text in one style:
The text entered into this field will be displayed as the website slogan under the logo:
You can upload/remove your favicon here:
Logo image is uploaded or selected from the Media Library:
This option allows you to add the header image to your website top panel:
Just click on "Add new image" button and browse the image from the Media Library. Alternatively, you can upload it from your computer:
We have selected the header image on the screenshot below:
These settings allow you to add the background image behind the content body, when "Boxed" body style is enabled and to manage its position:
Just click on "Select image" button to upload the image from the Media Library or from your computer. After this step you will see a set of other parameters for background:
This option allows you to select how your background image will be repeated:
- No repeat - In this case the image will not be repeated;
- Tile - The image will be repeated both horizontally and vertically;
- Tile horizontally - The image will be repeated only horizontally (similar to repeat-x value in CSS) ;
- Tile vertically - The image will be repeated only vertically (similar to repeat-y value in CSS);
- Left - The image will be located on the left.
- Center - The image will be located in the center.
- Right - The image will be located on the right.
- Scroll - The background will be scrolled with the page content.
- Fixed - Even when you scroll the page, your background image will have a fixed position. On the image below the page is scrolled but we can still see the background image repeated horizontally:
We have selected the header image and "Tile horizontally" on the screenshot below:
If you have "No repeat" or "Tile vertically" selected you can control the position of the image in the browser:
On th screenshot below we have selected the right position for the image repeated vertically:
Here you can choose whether you want to have the background fixed when you scroll the page:
These settings allow you to manage Sidebar and Footer widgets just as you used to do in Appearance - Widgets in Wordpress admin panel:
Here you can manage standard sidebars (widget sets) included in the theme:
You will be able to assign any of these widget sets to the sidebar of Homepage, Blog archive pages, Search results pages, Single post pages and Single pages.
Moreover, you get 5 Custom Widget sets that can be managed in Appearance - Widgets:
On the same page you will see Available Widgets section which also includes 6 additional ThemeRex Widgets, Instagram widget and MailChimp SignUp form.
- ThemeREX - About Me: Displays the photo and description of the website admin on the website admin:
- ThemeREX - Advertisement block: Used to insert advertising blocks - images with links or arbitrary HTML-blocks. IMPORTANT: Be careful to use extraneous HTML-code not to disrupt the design of the page.
- Instagram photos: Shows photos from Instagram account. IMPORTANT! You need to install plugin Instagram widget plugin before using this widget.
- ThemeREX - Most Popular & Commented: Displays the most visited and most commented articles.
- ThemeREX - Recent Posts: Displays the most recent posts. Unlike the standard widget, it displays a post's featured image, author's name, comments or views number.
- ThemeREX - Socials:Shows the links to social network profiles.
- ThemeREX - Calendar: A standard WP Calendar with short week days.
Sources and Credits
This section discloses the sources of various files used within the theme and describes their function. Use this section to gain an understanding on how the theme functions behind the scenes, if considering any type of modification.
- "Signika" (non standard), "Source Sans Pro" (non standard), "Inder" (non standard) and other 40 Google fonts
- Fontello (non standard, icons set)
All non standard fonts are from Google Web Fonts and Fontello icons set
We have used pictures from:
All images are copyrighted to their respective owners and not available for download with this theme.